Hello again, and welcome to my clarinet re-pad slide show! Alright, not really, but since I have so many pictures, I'll confine most of my remarks to a few problems I ran into during the process. An introduction to this assignment: We each received a rental clarinet to do a complete overhaul on. We had just over two weeks to complete the project. New pads, corks, fit keys, and make it work as good as new.
First, before tearing it down for cleaning, I had to straighten out a few keys that had been bent. The alternate F# and side Bb/Eb keys were both a bit wonky. Unfortunately I did not come out with an "after" picture on this one... lesson learned.
|The bent side keys before repair|
|Cut to fit, the plastic self-adheres to the pliers and they're ready to use!|
The next step was to pull all the keys off, and clean all the hinge rods and hinge tubes with valve oil and denatured alcohol.
|The hinge rods are also cleaned with crocus cloth to remove corrosion and debris.|
|We used pipe cleaners to get the hinge tubes all scrubbed out.|
|Heating the Ab key over my handy-dandy acetylene bench torch to soften the pad glue|
The last step before the cleaning was a bit of a bugger--removing the tenon corks. After removing the majority of the cork with some pliers, I gave mine a nice soak in some valve oil to loosen the glue.
|after! No more glue and ready for cleaning.|
|Padding the inline Bb/Eb. The orange feeler guage in the background is what we used to check for leaks.|
|I overdid the glue on a few pads, so after installing I used a heated screwdriver to clean up some of the excess.|
.After padding, we started corking. Later, for efficiency's sake we could do both steps at once, but in class we did them separately to make sure we had everything right along the way.
|Putting the articulation cork on the F/C key|
|Ruh roh... The missing spoke|
|I started with a tiny piece, but for cosmetic and practical reasons, it worked better to cover the entire touchpiece.|
It took a little more key fitting to get the feel right, but in the end, the action was feeling pretty good. Problem solved, and no soldering required. Next step was regulating!
|Flexing to regulate the low E/B and F/C keys|
|Softening the cork before gluing it to the tenon|
|Completed, tenon cork, sealed with warmed paraffin wax.|