Saturday, October 6, 2012

Project Flute!

After turning in the project clarinets last Friday, we have moved on to flutes! This is mine: A Gemeinhardt 2SP with some apparently troubling pad issues. Upon my inspection, the pad protrusion varied greatly where it should have been much more consistent. According to my instructor, I might run into some challenges when it comes time to re-pad... But I'm looking forward to it! Other than that, just some torn pads, a few scratches and some worn plating. So far...

As with the clarinets, we took note of the existing venting and silencers on the instrument before pulling it apart for cleaning. This time was a bit different, though, as we had to regulate and re-adjust the flute so that one thickness of cork could be used for most of the feet on keys. After scraping off the original foot corks with a razor (except the F key), I used one piece of my Gummi-Kork feeler gauges to find the new venting, and flexed the feet of keys to adjust it to where I wanted.


Tinkering with the venting before disassembly...
So far, I've taken apart all but the upper and lower stack, and trill assembly and sent it through the chem room to be cleaned. Since my flute is silver plated, I had run it through the silver dip after de-greasing and pickling to remove tarnish. We are short on knock-pin removers for the class, so I have been working on clarinet re-pad Part II in the mean time. I will soon post about that project as well as the first clarinet and small tool projects on the lathe!